Thursday, August 12, 2010

You know when you are home when......

...you have figured out how to make cookies!

We are one step closer to making HK home. It has taken almost three weeks to figure out how to bake in my new tiny kitchen using my crazy little oven and WHERE to get all the key ingredients. Two days ago I found the final component of chocolate chip cookies....the chocolate chips! My neighbor and I have been on the hunt so to speak.

I have limited counter space as you can see:


Here is a picture of our amazing little oven. I put it on top of the fridge so I had more counter space. We have a step stool so I can open it up but getting the cookies in and out was still a challenge. However, it is much better than not having ANY counter space. Refer back to picture 1, that is all the counter space that I have, well I use the top of my stove as well for counter space *when it is not on :-).

The finished product: Tada! They were delicious and we made cookie ice cream sundays with them (thank Kalina for the great idea).

Can you guess where these key ingredients for the cookies are from? (hint they are all from different countries)
Chocolate chips:
Brown sugar:
Eggs:
Butter:
Oatmeal:

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your journey of making chocolate chip cookies. We will try and bring you some when we see you at Christmas time! lots of love, Mom

    chocolate chips...US
    Eggs....China
    Butter....Holland
    Oatmeal....Germany
    Brown Sugar...... England

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate chips...US
    Eggs...HK
    Butter...Australia or maybe Aus for the brown sugar
    Oatmeal...Singapore

    That's tricky! I found choc chips in Alpha market the other day.
    Love Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're both close, but not quite there!
    Butter: New Zealand
    Brown Sugar: Australia
    Choc. Chips: US
    Oatmeal: (mainland) China
    Eggs: Malaysia
    Nothing in this city seems to come from Hong Kong. Still, it's not nearly expensive as imported food in Cairo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, definitely can't be home without cookies. Glad you are enjoying your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the passport introduction, I never thought that one day I will hear there is a more precious passport than the American one.

    You remind me of the G9 Exploration Unit

    ReplyDelete