Sunday, August 22, 2010

We love weekends

Saturday
Last Saturday we didn't venture out much as I (Emily) was feeling a little overwhelmed with life in Hong Kong and needed some down time. We are loving Hong Kong but culture shock has been creeping in every once in a while and we are feeling nostalgic for Cairo. Life is starting to get a little easier here for me so this weekend I was feeling much more up to an adventure. I cleaned the kitchen, bathroom and did some laundry (I really miss my maid back in Cairo) and we set off for the MTR station (a 2 minute walk from our apartment).
We then rode the MTR to Kwun Tong to the APM Mall where Coco's is located. Having found Coco's last weekend Brad needed curry again (good thing we don't live super close to this mall or Brad may move into Coco's). The MTR lines here are VERY extensive and Brad has figured out how to navigate them really well. I am still getting my barrings.
The mall that we went to was HUGE (as are all placed in HK) and one of the most amazing malls we have been too. Many of these malls are like little towns. Next weekend I should start taking pictures of the public bathrooms because I am always so impressed (especially coming from Cairo where I would NEVER use the public restrooms, if I could help it.
At the mall we went to Inception and loved it. We had to book our tickets the night before because movie theaters fill up so quickly here. Good thing Brad was with me because I get a little confused in complicated movies.....
We finished off the evening with dinner downtown for an Italian meal with new friends (another couple on our floor). It was fun to hang out with another couple and explore Hong Kong together. It was also fun to not eat Asian food :-)
After eating we went and sat by the water and looked at all the beautiful tall buildings all light up.
Sunday
This morning we went to church and enjoyed the service much more than the first time we went....although I think the church search still goes on. It was much easier in Cairo where the choices were much fewer. We just got our cheese order (a lady who works here has a hook up with cheaper cheese) so we made some big sandwiches for lunch today. Brad is off taking a nap and I have some books that are begging to be read. The weekends are just not long enough..........
Thanks for reading the blog!

2 comments:

  1. This is cool! I have this bookmarked, I like seeing how life is in other countries. God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to see Hong Kong again through your eyes! The malls are all huge there it seems, and all lit up. We had a favorite Italian place we went to in Wan Chai so we could escape the Chinese food every once in awhile, too. :) They used to have an Uno Chicago Grill on the Kowloon side, right near the harbor and we'd go there for our American fix! ~ Katrina

    ReplyDelete